I recently upgraded my home Internet from Spectrum Ultra (500/20) to TDS Fiber Gigabit (1000/1000). However, when running speed tests on the new circuit I noticed that I was consistently getting speeds SLOWER than my Spectrum Circuit. I was getting around 250-300mbps.
This ended up being a configuration issue with my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PRO-8, which is definitely capable of delivering gigabit speeds!
The very first things I checked, were to ensure I was running the latest code (v2.0.9-hotfix.5 at this time) and that hardware offloading was ENABLED:
I was still seeing the issue, still had slow speeds. But, I also noticed in the GUI that when I was running my speed tests the CPU was maxing out at 100%. I jumped down to the CLI and ran “top”, to see what was pegging the CPU.
The ksoftirqd process was pegging the CPU on the EdgeRouter. This lead me to this post, which reminded me that I had played with Netflow a few years back.
After disabling flow accounting, this fixed it and I was getting really close to my Gigabit speeds!